This is a sponsored post, but all opinions are my own.
I mean, we EAT. Obviously, but we don’t have to pack lunches in awesome bento lunchboxes, or neatly into brown paper bags, right? WRONG! We go on field trips, and we LOVE packing our lunches when we do! It helps save money, AND it gives the kids the joy of bringing what they love to eat at home to their favorite outdoor learning spot. As lead mom over this way, I try to make sure that everything I pack fits nicely, because let’s face it – ain’t nobody got time for shoddily packed lunches – in OR out of the lunch bags. With the new packaging of lunchtime favorites like Yoplait yogurt multipacks from Walmart, I can stack them neatly in AND out of the refrigerator and not stare into the abyss while wondering why I’m dealing with round shapes again. We pick up our favorite flavors from Walmart. We ALWAYS have to have strawberry, and the kids love a variety of peach and mixed berries to go with that. I’m more than happy to oblige.
Speaking of field trips, we LOVE taking time to visit one of our favorite places in Chicago, Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum. Not only is the entire museum bright and inviting, they make sure to have a space for us to eat and enjoy those carefully packed lunches. Between the butterflies and new exhibits that come in just enough time to keep our interests piqued, we ALWAYS spend a large chunk of the day there being nourished both mentally and physically!
It’s also not a secret that we love rocking our signature pose whenever we visit. There’s a stack of flat rock outside of the museum that the three amigos always sit on so that we can take our requisite photo before heading back home.
One of the things that I love about packing lunch and including items like Yoplait yogurt in them is the fact that I KNOW my kids are going to enjoy. They’ve loved yogurt since being able to enjoy the fruit filled treat, and I love that they are now large enough where I no longer have to share out of my own cup. Sitting down during one of our field trips over lunch and talking about the day’s happenings and what we’ve learned. Yes, I learn things too!
Most of what I learn has to do with purposeful parenting, and not going with what everyone else is doing.
- Packing a lunch does NOT have to be a work of art, unless your kid wants it to be. There is NO need to frazzle your brain trying to come up with nifty ideas each day.
- Just because you homeschool, doesn’t mean that you have to stay IN your home. Even if you’re still IN your backyard. Take lunch outside! Enjoy classes on the patio or in the grass! The change of scenery may be a nice change of pace for both YOU and the kids.
- Put items in their lunches that are easy for YOU and fun for THEM! Kids love little surprises and parents love surprising their children.
- When it’s feasible, buy in bulk when you can, and your sanity will thank you for it. With four children, I go through meat, cheese and bread like water, and when there are great treats like Yoplait in the mix, that goes fast too. I’ve found my children “sneaking” a Yoplait snack before dinner several times over.
- Homeschooling while parenting can be like a ride on a seesaw. One day you’re up, another day, you’re down, then sometimes – you find balance. When you go in knowing this – knowing that by just being a parent, you’ve entered into the wildest seesaw ride you’re ever going to have, you’ll be okay.
Now, I’m going to go ahead and enter into our homeschool area today (otherwise known as the dining area or the steps – dealer’s choice) and we’re going to enjoy the rest of our day over a cup of Yoplait.