It’s that time of year! Cookie swaps abound and we’re back with our annual Houseful of Cookies cookie swap! This year brings us brownie creations, birds nests, mint, Disney, ginger, keto-friendly, gluten-free, and chocolate-dipped. It’s all about presentation, and I can’t wait for you to see everything that there is to offer! Anyhoo, let’s give you my recipe for my brownie cookies that I whipped up last weekend, because I happen to love the edge pieces of brownies, but not necessarily the entire process of creating them in one full pan. Don’t narrow your eyes at me. You have quirky things about you too, and you just don’t want to admit it. I made Brownie Cookies this year because I love you.
Anyway, the tools that I use when baking cookies are important. I hate having cookies that aren’t relatively uniform and burnt on the bottom. My Wilton cookie scoop that I snagged during some holiday sale helps me with the shape, and my Silpat mat I snagged when Martha Stewart told me to, helps me with evenly browned bottoms. I still need cooling racks, because somehow, those walked out of my home. Very interesting.
Anyway, here’s what you’re going to need, to do, and make sure you have a large cup of milk (we prefer the good ol’ whole milk) to drink with these. Because you’ll need to feel the FULL holiday spirit. They’re perfect to bake for the Santa in your life as well.
These brownie textured cookies give the best of both worlds, without having to make two different mixes. Add whatever nuts you want, and have a decadent dessert in minutes!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- One 12-ounce bag chocolate chips
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup of sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup walnuts, roughly chopped, optional
- 1. Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl.
- Melt the chocolate chips and butter in a medium microwave-safe bowl in the microwave in 30-second increments, stirring in between, until smooth. Let cool slightly.
- Beat the sugar and eggs with an electric mixer on medium-high speed in a large bowl until thick and pale yellow, about 2 minutes. Scrape the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and beat until incorporated. Beat in the vanilla. Add the flour mixture and beat on medium-low speed. Fold in the walnuts if using. The batter will be quite soft at this point. Refrigerate until firm enough to scoop, about 30 minutes.
- Position oven racks in the top and bottom thirds of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with a silpat mat.
- Scoop batter onto the prepared baking sheets about 2 inches apart (the cookies will spread considerably). You will have enough batter left over for a second batch of cookies.
- Bake until the tops of the cookies are crackled and no longer glossy and the edges are firm, 15 to 18 minutes (or more/less depending on your oven - I have a gas oven). Rotate your cookies halfway through baking. Let the cookies cool for a few minutes on the baking sheets, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely. When the baking sheets are cool, repeat with the remaining batter. The cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
What is Houseful Of Cookies?
Houseful of Cookies is an annual, virtual cookie hop, hosted by me. I’ve been doing it since 2015 I believe, and I really like playing on the “Houseful” theme when there is more than one of something, and since there’s more than one cookie…here we are. Each year, I gather a bunch of folks from the internet to bake up epic cookie creations and share them with all of you! It’s a fun time, and we all have dealt with butter, flour, and various flavorings to bring you our goodies each year. This year, I present to you, our cookie hop.
Houseful Of Cookies Participants
Brownie Cookies – Houseful of Nicholes
Chocolate Rolo Surprise Cookies – Good Girl Gone Redneck
The Perfect Christmas Sugar Cookies – Love, Jaime
Cake Mix Santa Cookies – Dairy Carrie
Candy Cane Cookies – Brooklyn Active Mama
Chocolate Dipped Peppermint Shortbread Cookies – Honest & Truly
Gingersnap Cookies – Divas With A Purpose
Decorated Ugly Sweater Cookies – 100 Directions
Minnie Christmas Headband Cookies – Cutefetti
Birds Nest Cookies – My Crafty Life
Cranberry White Chocolate Chip Cookies – Kenya Rae
Gluten-Free Russian Tea Cakes – Day by Day in Our World
Not His Mamma’s Tassies – Heather Spins a Yarn
Molded Peanut Butter Cookies – This Mamas Life
Not Your Mama’s Milk & Cookies – Life of a Ginger
Peanut Butter Marshmallow Chocolate Chunk Cookies – Mama Harris’ Kitchen
Coffee Sandwich Cookies with Browned Buttercream Filling – How Was Your Day?
Butterscotch Cornflake Cookies – Omadarling
Coffee Cookies – Someday I’ll Learn
Toffee Bits Cookies – This Worthey Life
Fruitcake Cookies – Sugar, Spice, & Glitter
Keto Almond Joy Cookies – The Crunchy Mommy