With a woman feeding her child in public. They cry, she takes out their food and proceeds to give them the nourishment that they need to thrive and grow.
I find that this scenario is usually ONLY okay when that food is being given in a bottle. Whether it’s breast milk or formula, people get REALLY weird when you breastfeed your baby in public. It’s still perplexing to me. Honestly. People turn into the folks from the Crucible when they see this:
I had the cellist when I was 19 years old. Breastfeeding was what I thought that I was supposed to do. I mean, there was no “need” for formula since my body could make what he needed at the perfect temperature AND afford me the right to stay in bed when he woke up hungry. SCORE! Hey, for a college kid who was already struggling to get enough rest, I got in where I fit in. So imagine my confusion while nursing in Target the other day I overheard someone say in my direction, “My God, I wish she would put that up and do it someplace more private.” Um, wait, excuse me?! First off, I’m far from a nursing exhibitionist. I don’t hide what I’m doing, but I also don’t flaunt it. I don’t want you spying my areola anymore than you want to see it. Ya dig? So, it always makes me feel a bit weirded out by people who get offended with me for FEEDING. MY. BABIES.
Let’s not even talk about the excuses that women feel they need to offer up when they realize that I am nursing twins and they never nursed. I’m not trying to make people feel guilty, but gee..I’m not wearing a backwards collar, so confession isn’t necessary. I promise you. My favorites thus far are:
- Nursing hurts too much – which may be true for all of three days, then if it’s continuing, you’re doing something wrong and I suggest asking for help. There’s no shame in it. Pinky swear.
- I might get turned on.
- Well, ummmmm, sure. But I doubt it. Really. Pinky swear.
- Breasts aren’t made for THAT!
- Well darlin’ they’re not made for your hubby to be hanging off of either, but I’m SURE you let him from time to time!
- It’s embarrassing.
- To which I counter..At some point in time, someone was staring down your crotch to help deliver the baby that you could be nursing. It’s really not that big of a deal.
- My breasts are too small.
- And mine look like they could suffocate all of my children, but we make it happen.
Look, the point here is to say that you can, and you should because pumping all of the chemicals into your child for no good reason is just plain mean. Plus it costs too much. However, for the most part, I do hope that you are feeding the little cherubed faced angel and enjoying all of the milk comas that they will be in.